birding-aus

Nesting galahs and Kestrels

Subject: Nesting galahs and Kestrels
From: Peter Pfeiffer <>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 08:35:11 +0930
Hi  birding-ausers,

Would Australian Kestrels and Galahs nest in the same tree at the same time ?

On 29-5-02 I saw an adult Kestrel ,(female I think due to the brown colouring), perched on a branch 2m away from it's nesting hollow at which was sitting a young grey kestrel 1/2-2/3 the size of the adult.( recently fledged?). On 30-5-02 at the same tree a pr. of Galahs were starting courtship with head bobbing and allopreening and the female was lining a different nest hollow with small branchlets of gum leaves.

        Did I see one lot of tennants move out and the next move in the next
day ?

I have also seen Rainbow lorikeets use the same tree but a different hollow again.

Cheers,

Peter.

Peter Pfeiffer
Technical Officer
School of Chemistry, Physics and Earth Sciences
Flinders University of South Australia
GPO Box 2100
Adelaide  SA  5001

ph:  61-8-8201 2095