birding-aus

Norhtern Beaches area Sunday

Subject: Norhtern Beaches area Sunday
From: Penelope Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 17:37:23 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Birding-aussers

Did a bit of a seach for Swift Parrots/Regent HEs on
Sunday, since the rain had held off and a bit of sun
appeared.

At Deep Creek, Narrabeen Lakes on Sydney's Northern
beaches area, no targets species but an Osprey sat
calmly on the top of a dead casuarina, 7 Yellow-tailed
Black Cockatoos flew over, a Peregrine sat quietly in
a gum trees (attention drawn to it by the noisy Noisy
Miners), a female Rose Robin was with a large party of
feeding wrens (Blue and Variegated), Brown Thornbills,
Silvereyes, Red-browed Finches, a male Golden
Whistler, Brown Gerigones, Grey Shrike-thrush, Lewin's
and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, Grey Fantails, with Musk
and Little Lorikeets flying over.

At Warriewood wetlands, hundreds of Rainbow Lorikeets
and a flock of 12+ Littles were feeding in the Swamp
Mahogany. Other birders had seen a few Scarlet
Honeyeaters and a Drongo. A Brown Goshawk kept the
lorikeets on the move. Lots of Yellow-faced HEs
were feeding on the nectar.

On my way home between 3/7 May from Gluepot, South
Australia, I stopped at Lake Cargelligo Sewage works
(what better scenic spot for a tourist to visit?), and
found an adult White-bellied Sea-eagle perched in one
of the dead trees on the edge of the water, eating a
fish. The whole area from Gluepot through to about 50
km west of Hillston is appallingly dry, as others have
mentioned on birding-aus recently, and birds were few
and far between. Mungo Nat.Park and Kinchega (where I
camped over night) were better, though dry, as the
vegetation is in quite good shape, not being grazed to
the ground as it is on many of the pastoral
properties. Goats are being grazed (provided the
grazier fences the property), so what little ground
vegetation is left is quickly vanishing on these
properties. I saw a large area of mallee recently
chain dragged on the approach into Mungo from Mildura
- clearing continuing as per usual. There were a few
properties were overstocking did not appear to be the
norm but one does wonder how much longer this country
can afford to allow grazing in these marginal areas.

By the way, Gluepot was great! I was there for 7
weeks. Not only the Scarlet-chested Parrots (11 at the
final count), but lots of Striated Grasswrens (with
juveniles in April), Southern Scrub-robins, Major
Mitchells, Chestnut Quail-thrush, Red-capped Robins,
etc. etc., but none of the more unusual honeyeaters
such as Pied, Painted, etc. The common HEs in the
mallee were Yellow-plumed and White-fronted, with
flocks of up to 40 of Black-eared Miners putting in an
occasional appearance. Mammal-wise the capture of 3
Western Pygmy Possums confirmed their presence in the
reserve. Two I saw were pregnant females.

I never got to see a Malleefowl! Lots of mounds, a few
feathers and foot prints but no actual birds. Others
were more lucky. The new rangers, Karen and Rod Davis,
are improving old and setting up new walking tracks,
with markers and the occasional seat, and bird hides
at the water points should be installed within the
next six months. There are plans also to erect
shelters with benches etc. at the 3 camp sites, for
the benefit of campers - but funds are needed to cover
the cost. The road in, although a bit sandy and
corruaged, was a dream after the roads in and out of
Mungo!  It's a super place to visit. Hope lots of you
birding-aussers get there if not already visited - and
visit again.
Regards to all