birding-aus

Fascinating Mix

To: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Fascinating Mix
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 09:25:30 +1000
Sorry Bob & Sadhana!

Sorry we missed you. It sounds like you had a typically great day in the
valley!

Eileen and I spent the weekend in Brisbane! Very rare for us. We went down
on Friday for a cultural fix and only got your phone message on Sunday.

I think I know which dam you saw the Freckled Ducks on - there have been a
few at various lakes in the valley over the last several weeks. By the way,
hereabouts, the Wandering Whistlers are harder to find than Cotton
Pygmy-geese.

I don't think it was Seven Mile Lagoon, as Andrew Stafford suggested. He's
right of course about what a great spot it is in suitable conditions, but it
has been so dry for so long now that it's currently just a grazed paddock.
But, this is a regular event, and it'll come back and will be duly inundated
with birds when it does.

So, for us a rare non-birding weekend. That's the trouble with this feast of
life - there's so much on the menu that whatever dish you select at a given
meal means forgoing some other delicacy. Now, city-sated, we're hungry for
our more regular diet of home-grown country tucker.

But en-route we did get a good look at a Spotted Harrier hunting close by
the highway - I guess that's sort of eating between meals?

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056