birding-aus

Aberant Willie Wagtail Again

To: <>
Subject: Aberant Willie Wagtail Again
From: "Birds of Perth" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 21:12:47 +0800
We(my partner, my sister & I) saw the strange Willie Wagtail again. Still in the same place, a new housing devlopment in South Lake WA. It was feeding with other "normal" looking Willie-wags, chasing Ravens and doing Willie-wag stuff. Only other birds around were a group of Yellow-rumped Thornbills.

After closer examination I could see that it wasn't white, but more very pale grey with streaks of brown on the wings giving it the colour aviculturalists call "cinammon". The breast and belly were white with black covering the face from the chin to nape and crown and forehead. Hopefully I will be going back out to the site on Saturday afternoon to see if I can get a photo. I would like to know if anyone else has sighted Willie Wagtails with this kind of colouration or other mutations?

Thanks,

Claire Stevenson