birding-aus

Re - Logging In Victoria

Subject: Re - Logging In Victoria
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:53:11 +1000 (EST)
A few weeks ago, Simon Mustoe made some comments about a report on the proposed
changes to Sawlog production in Victoria.  I have decided to make a few
comments
at the risk of more abusive phone calls from people who have worked out that I
have been doing some work for forestry recently and do not believe that those
with an environmental consciounse or believe that logging sustainably should
include considerations of other flora and fauna rather then just tree regrowth,
should be allowed near employment in Forestry.  (These calls have only come
from
loggers, who somehow manage to get hold of my opinions and comments).

In Victoria, the amount of area of crown land logged is being increased at the
moment.  At the request of Daishowa, thinning operations are now being
increased
in East Gippsland.  This is where every 20 years all non-commercial vegetation
is
cutdown and commercial tree species are then thinned and chipped so they are
equally spaced much like a plantation.  As tax payers I am sure that you will
be
thrilled to know you are paying $70 million for this to be subsidised.  It has
employed 39 people (13 crews of 3 people), who pay royalties of approximately
13
cents a tonne, get the road made for them and keep any profits.

I should also mention that approximately 23 % of Victoria is available for
logging with current management practices it is getting close to where you
could
feel truthful in making the comment that this (our) crown land is managed
solely
for the usage of the timber industry which is something like 0.003% of the
population.

There is now a huge push to log contentious areas very quickly.  As can be seen
at Goolengook and what is starting to happen in the Otways.  Also see a recent
email me on rally for the forests.

Government accountability has meant that chunks of the Vanclay report where
edited.  Earlier drafts of the report make for interesting reading on how
export
woodchipping is affecting the timber industry and whoops our forests.  If you
did
get a copy of the 2nd last final report check the appendices see what is
missing
and compare with the re-released final report.

More sawlogs are going straight to the woodchipper.  As 30% less timber needs
be taken to saw mills it needs to go somewhere as it possible cant stay in the
ground.  The 100 people or so that are employed in export woodchipping must
feel
real good with the number of local mills (rural employers) that have closed
recently (probably in the 100?s) and more of our forests are being cut down
then
ever before.

Just to top things off there is an increasing push that areas protected under
the
temporary reserves known as Special Protection Zones for endangered species
etc,
be removed from the reserves before the 20 years time span that is supposed to
occur.  This is supposedly not going to happen, but why would current practices
want to lock up a reserve for 20 years when they could continually play
swapsies
with SPZ?s and move them into recently logged areas and fool the voting public
yet again.  Plus all our wildlife knows to go and live in National Parks.

I might end it there because I am just becoming cynical.

Cheers
Paul.