birding-aus

Laughing Gull update 10

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Laughing Gull update 10
From: "Trevor Ford" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:05:18 +1000
Although I wasn't going to continue with reports of the Laughing Gull on
Bribie Island, the fact that there have been a few people dipping on the
bird recently has encouraged me to put finger to keyboard.  Hopefully this
will be of some assistance to any weekend visitors.

The gull was certainly around the area of the Bongaree jetty, and slightly
to the south, between about 12.45 pm and 2.15 pm last Tuesday.  I can't
guarantee that it didn't leave for a spell in the middle as I was indulging
in a Scoopy's steak and eggs breakfast.  I did not look for the gull on
Wednesday or Thursday, apart from the last 20 minutes of light on Thursday
when an over-optimistic friend appeared for an attempt.  We were
unsuccessful.

Today, Friday, the gull was on the beach just to the south of the Bongaree
jetty at 12.30 pm.  During its stay it was seen to fly out to sea, pick up a
small fish from close to the surface and return to shore to consume it.
After half an hour I could not resist a Scoopy's bacon and eggburger, so
left.  Continuing afterwards to Buckley's Hole, the gull was present on the
beach to the south (south-east) of the sandy track and up to one kilometre
along the beach.  It was present from 2 pm until 2.30 pm when there it was,
gone.

Also of interest today were several White-winged Terns, and an interaction
between pelican and osprey.  The osprey had caught a fairly large fish (as
they do) and was carrying it along the passage, only for a pelican to take
an interest in things.  The pelican persued the osprey for a minute or so
until the osprey dropped the fish into the passage - to be collected by the
pelican.

Rather than walk the ocean beach (35 km), as has been suggested, a more
proactive (and productive?) approach could be to order 3 rounds of toast at
Scoopy's, eat two rounds, proceed past Beaches Restaurant and along the
beach until the first bench, sit down and lob small pieces of toast towards
any gulls.  This approach certainly worked for some non-birders on Tuesday!
If the ocean beach seems more attractive, do take plenty of water, insect
repellant and a tent.  Don't expect to see many gulls, though.

 Cheers - Trevor Ford.