birding-aus

European Goldfinch

Subject: European Goldfinch
From: Rory Poulter - Atlas Project <>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 07:45:21 +1000
The Atlas clearly shows that the European  Goldfinch has been declining
over the last few decades and even contracting in range. Although still
considered common it has declined strongly of the order of 50% since the
70's in NSW and Victoria, and moderate declines in SA and Tasmania. It has
virtually disappeared from the Brisbane region and declined in north east
NSW. It may have disappeared from the Eyre Peninsula and Port Augusta areas
of SA. Only the Perth metropolitan area shows an increase.
It is still common in Adelaide, Melbourne, Hobart, Canberra and Sydney.

Rory

At 05:29 12/4/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>   On my morning train trip to work I noticed a European  Goldfinch  I have
>not seen them that  often in Sydney and looked up my copy of J Long,
>Introduced Birds of  the World, to get the full story of introductions. I
>was intrigued  there to read that the NSW populations were not introduced
>but were dispersals  and that the dispersal routes into country towns seem
>to have been along the  rail lines.   Now this is not that silly, given
>that this bird is a seed  eater, but I was wondering just how much study
>had been done of the role played  by the rail lines in the dispersal of
>both weeds and feral animals, both birds  and mammals. Any comments?   What
>is the current status of the European Goldfinch too? Is  it increasing or
>decreasing in numbers and range? It sure seems content in the  Canberra
>region.    Brian Everingham
>PO Box 269
>Engadine
>NSW  2233
>Australia
>
>+61 2  95209341
Rory Poulter
Database Custodian

Birds Australia Atlas Project
415 Riversdale Road
Hawthorn East,  Victoria, Australia  3123
Ph (03) 9882 2622
Fax (03) 9882 2677
www.birdsaustralia.com.au

Please support the Endangered Species Appeal by donating at ay branch of
the National Australia Bank, by phoning 1300 730 075 or on line at
www.birdsaustralia.com.au