birding-aus

Lorikeets feeding and bees

To: <>
Subject: Lorikeets feeding and bees
From: "Andy & Shirley Krajewski" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:48:52 +0930
Good day Birders
There was some discussion on the net about bees and birds (not that much about birds and bees).  Some time ago I took some photographs of Purple-crowned Lorikeets in a flowering gum (no idea of the species - in a back yard, Renmark). In one of the pictures, the flower cluster the bird was feeding on was being worked by four bees (no idea of the species!). Another picture shows the Lorikeet removing the flower cap to get to an unopened flower. This may be to get the nectar before the bees?

If anyone would like to see the (very ordinary) images I have converted them to small JPEG images and will email them to those that request it.

Happy Birding
Shirley Krajewski
Loxton
South Australia