birding-aus

Laughing Gull in Buckley's Hole

To: <>
Subject: Laughing Gull in Buckley's Hole
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:29:08 -0700
Hello all,

This morning (8/4/2002) at approx 6:30 am I saw Trevor Ford's Laughing Gull in
Buckley's Hole on Bribie Island.
Thanks Trevor. (Trevor has given me two new birds this year.)

The LG was with a flock of about 30 Silver Gulls on a grassy 'island' towards
the western end of the waterhole.
The bird was quite easy to pick out from the Silver Gulls due to its generally
darker and 'smudgier' appearance.
Other people have given a more detailed description but I would just like to
re-assure those that are yet to see this vagrant that it is obviously different
to the common Silver Gulls.
Having said that, it could be possible to miss it in a large flock that was
given just a quick 'glance'.

I observed the LG for at least 30 minutes at this location until another birder
arrived.
As I began to point out where to look a Whistling Kite flew over which 'spooked'
the flock.
Eventually the flock of Silver Gulls returned but without the LG.
By the time I left the area the LG had not returned.
I also checked out the sand-bars on the seaward side of Buckley's Hole without
success.
Isn't that the way it goes?

Buckley's Hole is on Bribie Island to the north of Brisbane.
Refer to UBD Brisbane refidex Map 63 E4.
A place worth visiting at least once in your lifetime.
I've been there quite a number of times now and will be trying for the
white-fronted Tern again later in the year.

I would also like to give Tom Tarrant 10 out of 10 for his beautiful pictures of
the LG.
It would seem that the 'scope/digicam he used is the ideal combination for
'digiscoping'.
With results like his it would seem that conventional film cameras are on the
way out for nature photography at least.

Cheers,
Bob Inglis
Woody Point
SE Queensland