birding-aus

[Fwd: Birding in the Grampians this afternoon]

Subject: [Fwd: Birding in the Grampians this afternoon]
From: Steve Clark <>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 13:50:49 +1000

G'day all

I spent a few hours in the Grampians (western Victorian mountain range and forested plains) this afternoon. First stop was in the Black Range State Park. A favourite area of mine for some of the drier country birds. Always used to get a few Hooded Robins here but not for a decade or so now. I looked in a new patch today and it had the right habitat and species such as Scarlet Robins, Jacky Winters and Buff-rumped Thornbills but no Hooded Robins. I'd be interested in any sightings from the Grampians. Surely they can't have disappeared. Otherwise 34 species including heaps of honeyeaters and Little Lorikeets.

Another 30 odd species at Cherrypool (where the Glenelg River crosses the Henty Highway). The bird hides appear to have been dismantled here but lots of waterbirds were visible from the main picnic area. A pair of Darters were perched in a large red gum and 25 Spoonbills (21 Yellow-billed and 5 Royal) were snoozing on an island. A few each of Hoary-headed and Australian Grebes were in the same pool. One each of White-faced Heron, White-necked Heron, Great Egret and Emu were wading in the shallows.

On the way home I called into the large treeless heathland south of the Billywing turnoff. Always reliable for Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters and today was no exception. Striated Fieldwrens were calling from the heath but they didn't show themselves.

Listened to Tim Flannery (Paleontologist and SA museum director) in the Hamilton Library last night. Most enteresting and well delivered talk on the early mammals fauna of the Hamilton district. He began his career with field work here. Apparently it used to support tropical vegetation and mammals now found only in Cape York and New Guinea (Tree Kangaroos for instance). Another period was colder and had plant and mammal species closely related to current alpine species. Nothing about birds from those times unfortunately because their bones don't fossilise as well apparently.

Cheers

Steve Clark
Hamilton, Victoria