birding-aus

Nosiy Pitta -Cape Hawke

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Nosiy Pitta -Cape Hawke
From: "Allan Benson" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 21:57:53 +1000
Cape Hawke is a the northern end of Booti National Park near Forster on the mid north coast of NSW. NPWS are regenerating the littoral rainforest on the slopes of Cape Hawke. There is a well constructed path leading to a tower at the highest point.

On the 3rd April,I had some time spare while at Forster on business so a walk up to the lookout seemed a good idea. I took my bins so see what was around and saw the usual suspects- Large-billed Scrubwren, Lewins HE, Eastern Yellow Robin, Grey Fantail and Brown Thornbill. About halfway along the track, I saw a movement on the ground and gasped in amazement when a Noisy Pitta hopped into view. I had excellent views for about 5 minutes.

Now you will tell me Noisy Pittas are as common as chooks and they are reported reasonably regularly from as afar south as the Illawara,  the Watagans behind Wyong and from Copeland Tops near Gloucester. However, this is the first one I've seen in NSW. My first sighting was the blue wing flashes as I flushed one off the Pensioner's Track at O'Reilly's and the second one was a rustle in the bushes at Iron Range when we were chasing the Red-bellied Pitta. I finally got a decent view of one on Ron Stannard's lawn at Kingfisher Park on the Atherton Tableland.

Make the effort to do this walk if you are in Forster. It is clearly sign posted of the Lakes Way on the southern side of Forster near the High School. The view is absolutely stunning. It was a clear, still day when I was there and the 360 degree panorama was breath taking. To the north you could see up the coast to Crowdy Head- to the South to Seal Rocks. To the east is the sea but to the west in the foreground is Forster and Wallis Lake and in the background the Great Divide featuring Barrington Tops. To see such a fabulous view after seeing such a gem of a bird really lifted my spirits and made my week.

Allan

Allan Benson
Niagara Park
NSW