birding-aus

Sick Subject

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Sick Subject
From: "Gordon Brook" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 07:32:45 +1000
North Coast NSW

Hi

At the risk of making everyone sick of this subject, I am not sure if I have read amongst the many anecdotes, the use of ginger tablets. Whilst I haven't done much sailing for many years now, I am a long time glider pilot. We tend to go round in circles for hours, sometimes (hopefully) fighting with the ups and downs of turbulence in and out of thermals. This can turn anyone's stomach, even after years of practise. I found the very best treatment is to take ginger tablets (available from chemists) about 2 hours before flying and then as directed. They are also quite pleasant to take. Worth a try.

Just to turn this sick subject around to birds, the motto of the Grafton Gliding Club is 'We fly With The Eagles'. Many is the time I have had either a White-breasted Sea Eagle or more commonly, a Wedge-tailed Eagle just off the wing tip - fantastic sight and the best indicator of where the thermal really is. On other occasions I have flown with Straw-necked Ibis and once with a Pelican.

In the breeding season, it is not unusual for a Wedgie to be above and slightly behind the glider in the same thermal and for him to fold his wings and 'stoop' at the aircraft. It can be a bit un-nerving especially as there have been cases of damage to the plane.

Whilst mentioning the Grafton area, the Clarence River birding group is having an outing to the Cowans Pond reserve on the 20th of this month. I have been invited to attend and demonstrate the latest in binoculars and telescopes. If anyone wants more details, please ask.

Best Wishes

Gordon
Ninox Binoculars & Telescopes

(02) 6649 1077