birding-aus

Osprey at Burrabong Creek, Cape Schanck area, Victoria

To: <>
Subject: Osprey at Burrabong Creek, Cape Schanck area, Victoria
From: "Charles Silveira" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 22:24:13 +1000

Hello fellow birdos,

My wife, Emma, and I have just returned from an afternoon at the beach at Bushrangers Bay during which I was absolutely amazed to see an Osprey at 1700 hours perched in a tree overlooking Burrabong Creek about 10 mins steady walk south along the Two Bays Walking Track from the Bushrangers Bay Car Park.

This is the first one I've seen in Victoria since I began surveying the birds of Victoria in 1976.  I recall that Martin Schulz got one near Hastings recently - perhaps this is the same individual.  If anyone, especially Mornington Peninsula birdos, is interested, the bird seemed to be quite at home on that particular tree and it may be a regular perching post as it has commanding views of Burrabong Creek and adjacent paddocks.  The tree was about 100 m north-east from the walking track with a windy stretch of the sealed Rosebud-Flinders Road (and a yellow square road sign with a black arrowhead indicating a winding road) in the backdrop.

I'd imagine that if the bird has adopted this area it may be easier to spot from the main road or from Bushrangers Bay as the actual walking track is in a strip of magnificently large banksias and other remnant plants which don't always give a good view of the surrounds.  The paddocks are no doubt private land and ought not be entered without first seeking the permission of the owner.

All the best,

Charlie

Charles Silveira
(03) 9306 6220