birding-aus

Autumn migrants at Katoomba

Subject: Autumn migrants at Katoomba
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:24:59 +1100
Hi birders,

Isn't it wonderful that after living in a house for 17 years, you can still
get new birds turning up. This morning a Brush Cuckoo has been calling from
the trees across the road from my house. It's a bird I've never had here
before, though I often hear them lower down the mountains.

Also this morning a Rose Robin called at dawn, my first this autumn as they
come out of the rainforest gullies where they breed. Three Black-faced
Monarchs were here on the 19th, and White-throated Needletails have been
gracing the skies on at least 7 of the last 14 days, including a steady
stream flying north this morning.

Has anyone else noticed a quiet year for Rufous Whistlers? I feel I've seen
far fewer than usual this season.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets