birding-aus

Blue Whales in Australian waters

Subject: Blue Whales in Australian waters
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:20:54 +1000

From: Martin  on 03/25/2002 04:20 PM

cc:

Slightly off-topic but Simon Mustoe's trip report has reminded me to make the
following suggestions with respect to the species of whale observed on his trip.

My mammal expert colleague here has advise me as follows:

Three species of blue whale have been recognised.
- the 'true' blue whale of the Southern Hemisphere Balaenoptera musculus
intermedia
- the 'true' blue whale of the Northern Hemisphere Balaenoptera musculus
musculus
- the 'pygmy' blue whale Balaenoptera musculus brevicauda

It is the last species that I understand is most commonly recorded in Victorian
waters (99% of records).

Unfortunately the size difference (pygmy blue whales are about 10m shorter) is
hard to determine in the field but 'true' blue whales are rarer and larger
beasts.

Some useful facts and figures on whales in Australian waters can be found at the
following site:
     Draft Recovery Plan for Blue Whales in Australian waters (Sept. 1999)
           http://www.ea.gov.au/coasts/species/cetaceans/bwplan.html

Note that blue whales are a threatened species in Australia and Victoria.  All
observatiions of threatened species should be reported to the relevant state
fauna/conservation agency.  In Victoria this is the Atlas of Victorian Wildlife
in the Department of Natural Resources & Environment, Melbourne.

cheers

Martin O'Brien
Executive Scientific Officer, Scientific Advisory Committee
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
4/250 Victoria Pde., East Melbourne  3002
Tel: 9412 4567