birding-aus

Some Western Qld. News

To: <>
Subject: Some Western Qld. News
From: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 18:06:36 +0930
Still very hot out here, with last week's temperatures ranging between 38 and 42.
At present we have a lot of Raptors around. Ian says he can't remember having seen as many Wedge-tailed Eagles about for approximately 25 years.In the last month on a fairly regular basis we've seen,
Peregrine Falcons, Square-tailed Kites,Black Falcons,Black-breasted Buzzards,Little Eagles,Australian Hobby,either a Swamp Harrier or a Spotted Harrier,Whistling Kites,Nankeen Kestrels,Brown Falcons,Black-shouldered Kites and Collared Sparrowhawks along with the Wedgies.
We have also seen quite a few Bustards, which aren't very common in this area. Lots and lots of Emus around. To-day I saw close to a hundred in several mobs ranging from 4 to about 25. The majority were slightly smaller than 1 or 2 birds in the mob so must be last years chicks.
I have quite a few Spotted Bowerbirds in the garden, they love the berries[?] of the Canary Island Date Palm. I'm not sure if they eat them or just like the look of them.We don't have as many Honeyeaters around the house as we normally do, probably because there aren't many things flowering at this time of the year, in fact, I've taken particular notice of all the native flora around the paddocks and have only seen two Mulga trees in flower and some Lignum bushes.
Ian saw a Barking Owl in one of the paddocks this week. He was pretty happy about it as he's seen very few of them.
The countryside is getting very dry and barren looking and waterholes are drying up rapidly.Thank God for our artesian water.

Regards,
Julie.

Julie McLaren.
"Bowra", Cunnamulla,Qld.4490