birding-aus

Autumn Garden almost

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Autumn Garden almost
From: "Steve Popple" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 20:47:29 +1100
I guess you call March in the Northern Territory Autumn (we call it Knock em down ). Though we haven't had much rain lately, I think our Wet season has fizzled out already and don't the birds know it. The Rainbow Beeeaters have started to reappear in increased numbers probably directly proportional to the number of dragon flies around. The Red tailed Black Cockatoos are also back after an absence of several months. Once the Paperbarks started flowering the Varied Lorikeets appeared out of nowhere and are racing around all over the place. The Torres Strait pigeons have started to quietly slip out of town one day their here the next day you realised you haven't seen any lately.
It's hot and in response to Bob Forsyths email our Grey crowned babblers were drinking from the sprinklers today which I haven't seen them do before either. The Bush Stone Curlews are in overdrive at the moment and are holding corroborees down the back of the block everynight, I wish I knew where they slept so I could pay them a noisy visit in the middle of the day. I saw a Lathams Snipe at an old borrow pit the other day though I didn't get to count its tail feathers. The poor owl population seems to be suffering on the local roads at the moment with several Tawny Frogmouths and Barn Owls vicitims to passing cars. I wish we got Gang Gang Cockatoos I do miss their wheezing in the cotoneasters full of berries.
Steve Popple.