birding-aus

Garden in SE Melbourne

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Garden in SE Melbourne
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:35:53 +1100
Sunday. Drew front curtains. Rufous Fantail? zipping past,
chased by a Red Wattlebird. Damn the overgrowth - there are
blind people who come past and I must prune the bushes.

Went to look for it out the back. Fan-tailed Cuckoo (once
every 2-3 years bird) on the tallest gum. And the Rufous
Fantail (4-5 years bird) arrived at the back scrub. I later
watched it and the cuckoo from 2m through an upstairs
window. Grotesquely overgrown melaleucas (hunting for our
sewer) and the thickest-trunked Coast Wattle you have ever
seen.

(Later on a third winter/autumn passage bird - a Rose Robin
- on Sandringham Golf Links where Spinebill(s) were feeding
young, proving that "seasons" overlap. We've never found
more than 2 probable breeding Spinebill pairs in Bayside in
the last decade.)

And today a Grey Fantail ! In the back scrub. Reckon to
record that about once a year. That scrub is awful but I got
out the bamboo (and planted a tree lucerne!).

Michael Norris
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife
Beaumaris to Brighton, Vic.