birding-aus

Magpie 1 v Peaceful Dove 0

Subject: Magpie 1 v Peaceful Dove 0
From: Roger and Anne Green <>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:40:56 +1030
Val Ford wrote:

Terry Pacey's piece about the butcherbird devouring the Noisy Miner has
reminded me of a similar observation in my back yard.

I went outside a couple of days ago to see what had made the loud thud, somewhere near our door, and saw a Peaceful Dove flying away (with a stray feather floating on the breeze) and "our" handreared, semi-wild Magpie in hot pursuit.

When I followed them into the nearby trees I found the maggie sitting on the now-dead dove. Magpie was in the crouching, wings out, tail and head up, posture, fluttering and chirping in a juvenile-type manner (She's over a year old). I picked her up, acertained that the dove was dead then decided to let nature take its course and put the maggie down again. When I left her she was pulling feathers out of the dove.

Was the maggie being opportunist - chasing down an already stunned/injured dove and (maybe) finishing it off, or did she attack the dove in the first place? We'll never know, but I did find her in similarly compromising circumstances 3 weeks ago, perched on a fledgling Spiny-cheeked Honey-eater with 2 distraught parent honey-eaters attacking her. They flew off when I approached and I confiscated her (alread dead) prey on that occasion, hoping to discourage her from such activity, but apparently it didn't work.

I hope I haven't reared a "rogue" magpie! At least it confirmed what I already knew - she isn't dependent on us for food!!

Several years ago I also witnessed another adult magpie chase, kill and eat a fledgeling House Sparrow.
Anne