birding-aus

Ballarat & also Hospital Swamp

To: <>
Subject: Ballarat & also Hospital Swamp
From: "Karen Pearson" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:05:40 +1100
Just back from taking part in the Begonia Festival  in Ballarat where my
family and I marched in the festival parade with the Coalition Against
Duckshooting.     Local support was quite good apart from the odd heckler or
two in the crowd (bless their little army disposal, camouflaged socks).
My non-birding partner lead at the front of the marchers, along with my 8
year old daughter proudly walking her 9mth poodle pup (who now thinks he's a
mega superstar from all the attention he received), carrying a large placard
reading "CELEBRATING 17 YEARS OF WILDLIFE RESCUE" (bless his rather large
cotton sport socks). My 2 1/2 year old was lucky enough to ride in one of
the rescue kayaks being towed by trailer and this was followed up by the
Waterbird Rescue Vet Caravan.    It was all very well done and
congratulations must go to fellow BOCA member Lynn Trakell who did a
fantastic job organising the entry in the parade.

I've been checking out the very impressive NRE web site
(www.nre.vic.gov.au ) and I noticed that the Hospital Swamp area has a small
no-shooting zone between Lake Coonewarre and Salt Swamp to provide a safe
refuge for the Orange-bellied parrot.  If anyone is around that way could
they pop in before next Saturday16th (DS opening day) and perhaps make the
Red-necked Phalarope aware of this arrangement.   It may be relieved to
know.

Some other reading on the site mentioned that the quail become harder to
shoot as the season progresses.  ??  Is this because there are perhaps fewer
around later or maybe that they become a little gun shy (who wouldn't!!)??
No wonder the first DS weekend is so popular.   Pop them off before they
really get the **** scared out of them.

Regards
Karen Pearson
Hampton, VIC
still pondering the real meaning of "Confidence Decoy" ??