birding-aus

Suburban megapodes

To: Syd Curtis <>
Subject: Suburban megapodes
From: Laurie&Leanne Knight <>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 18:12:24 +1000

Syd Curtis wrote:

>     Hawthorne, where I live, is an inner suburb of Brisbane, maybe 4 km from
> the city centre, as the Egret flies.  Occasionally on an early morning walk
> I have seen a scrub turkey in our street.  Yesterday there were three ...
> and one was less than half adult size.
>
> Somewhat surprising, I thought, for it would be about a kilometre to the
> nearest park with any native bush, and that, being fairly open euc forest, I
> hadn't regarded as suitable scrub turkey mound-building habitat.  Wonder if
> some lucky suburbanite has a garden big enough?

Well, they are breeding in the city botanical gardens, so there is no reason why
they couldn't be someone with an old Queenslander on a large block complete with
poinsettia and mango trees etc ...

I have seen the odd turkey at Jacobs Ladder [Turbot St] and am waiting to see
how long it takes before one takes up residence at the Roma St Gardens [nice bit
of turkey estate there]

LK