birding-aus

Kentish Plover

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Kentish Plover
From: "Eddie Ash" <>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 11:03:04 +1100
It sounds as though I may have been the only person to see the Kentish plover on Thursday.  How lucky can you get?
What might be helpful for people to know is that even though the shellbanks Alan Morris saw the birds roosting on near the pink cup have gone, I still found many plovers roosting in that same spot early in the morning.   It was then about three hours after high tide.   My guess is that they roost there overnight too.   High tide will be coinciding with dawn at the moment, so this weekend may be a good time to try.
Cheers Annabel

P.S. I just received this message from Shirley Cook of Armidale - do you have any comments?   To me they were not alike enough to confuse, quite apart from the size difference.

"Bob Shepherd has taken some quite good slides of the Kentish Plover.  A very interesting thing that he has observed is that the immature Double-banded Plovers have a pale buff collar behind the neck.  I wonder how many people have seen these and believe they have seen the KP?  The main difference between them is that the immature Double-banded Plovers also have dark markings across the breast."