birding-aus

Waders and crakes.

To: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Subject: Waders and crakes.
From: "Andrew Stafford" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 21:12:16 +1100
Hi Shirley,

If it's any comfort, my first Baillon's Crake was a fresh but very dead road-kill which I found outside the Cheetham Saltworks near Altona in 1986, when I was 15 and living in Melbourne. I didn't come across a real live specimen until a very dry couple of years resulted in numerous B. and Spotless Crakes invading the Sherwood Arboretum, in Brisbane's western suburbs, in October 1994.

This situation was repeated here this summer, and between November/December 2001 I found them on several wetlands around Brisbane - as crakes go, they're not particularly shy. They were also easy around the Hawkesbury swamps in north-west Sydney around this time, especially Pitt Town Lagoon and McGrath's Hill. Not that this helps you much in poor old Melbourne, but I guess what I'm getting at is, it's only a matter of time before the floodgates open!

Cheers, AS