birding-aus

RFI Magnificent Riflebird

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: RFI Magnificent Riflebird
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 13:42:05 +1000
I am busy doing the draft species accounts for the the forth coming Pica Press title Birds of Paradise and Bowerbirds.
I have a couple of queries relating to the Magnificent Riflebird of Cape York and I hope someone out there may be able to help:
There is a record from Albany Island in Torres Strait which is shown in the previous atlas and widely quoted in the literature. I think it may also be in John Warham's  1962 Emu article about birds of the barrier reef and Torres Strait.
There are no records as far as I am aware from any of the satellite islands of PNG, or other Australian islands, and this is a very sedentary species tied to quite dense forests. My query is twofold:
Does anyone know if it is still found on Albany Island, or was it a vagrant?
I suppose there is no possibility of the record being in error? I hate to ask  this, but it is a very anomalous site and sighting.
Finally, if anyone has any notes about the displays, nesting or diet of any of the forms of this Mag Riflebird species group, we'd love to hear from you. There is not a lot published and we'd like to dig up more, which would of course be fully acknowledged.
If you can  help, please email me on
Thanks and good birding.
Phil Gregory