birding-aus

Re: BIRDING-AUS .... KP

Subject: Re: BIRDING-AUS .... KP
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 00:11:23 -0800 (PST)
Well that was a fabulous report young Tony and I'm
sure now, that no one could miss finding the KP.

BUT!!!! did you forget something? and sad to say that
due to your missing something? you forgot to remember
to do a leftie at Mildura, drive to Hastings, picking
up Bill Stent on the way so you could pick up your
ancient and very olde bottle of jen ewe whine USA
Kentucky Bourbon, that you won in a quiz about a year
ago? tisk tisk tisk Oh well the years up now I'll have
to re-raffle it or put it up as another quiz prize for
someone

 ~;-|>>>>

JAG goes back to playing with Eggy and the 60
dolphins.
(No Eggy they are big fish and you can't eat them)
Tony Russell <> wrote:

Hi all, if anyone is still intending to go look for
the KP the following may prove helpful.

Just had a bit of a drive.

 YAWN!!!!!

Last Friday late afternoon there was a very strong
onshore breeze blowing and the tide was out. Not a
sign of any birds at the high tide roost on the
seaboard side of the tern colony enclosure.

Fortunately I remembered someone, I think it was
Trevor Quested, saying something about finding the
KP on the sand bar to the west of the tern enclosure,
so we crossed over and although a fair distance away
the bird was easily identified with our scopes cranked
up to x45. As others have reported, it was in
association with Red-capped Plovers, Mongolians,
Double-banded, and lots of Golden Plovers. The light
was pretty awful with the sun behind the birds so leg
colouring was impossible to determine.
====
I never thought I would hear the day when you missed
seeing the leg of a good looking bird?
====
Next morning we went out again, once again when the
tide was out but coming in. So in case the bird was
still on the sand bar we walked in to the left of the
tern enclosure, but only the Golden Plovers were out
there. So we walked right round the enclosure and came
at the high tide roost with the sun at our backs. The
same mix of birds were in association with the KP and
this time we had perfect views at about 30metres. Our
impression was the same as Mike Carter's, i.e. 98j in
Hyman.

Simon Blanch was working the birds from the opposite
(southern) end and was having light problems. Nice to
meet you Simon. Thanks to Rohan Clarke and Richard
Baxter for directions.

Tony