birding-aus

Old Bar Kentish Plover, NSW

Subject: Old Bar Kentish Plover, NSW
From: Penelope Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:26:17 -0800 (PST)
Dear all

Did the trip to Old Bar with Ian Hackworthy last
Wednesday 27 February, following the well worn track.
However, we arrived at about 1.30 pm as the tide was
ebbing. This enabled much better views of the many
plovers on the beach since they were not hiding in 4WD
tracks and behind bits of wood, but were down on the
slope of the beach roosting amongst the pebbles and
small rocks, which were about the same size or smaller
than the birds.

During the hour we were there, we found only one KP,
along with many Red-capped, 5 Sanderlings, 3 or 4
Double-barred and some Lesser-sand (no Greater)
plovers. One point got me a bit worried about the
identification was the small amount of white
"speckling" on the crown - maybe new feathers?
Otherwise it conformed to a mixture of Collins
Europeans Birds and Morcombe, and other reports from
Mike C, etc., more or less. The collar appeared at
times to not join at the nape and then at other times,
when the bird stood up and moved, to almost join. Most
of the time it was squatting amongst the stones,
sleeping (eyes shut) and fluffed up. When I moved down
the beach to one side of the group, all the birds rose
and walked away but the KP walked apart from although
close to the others. It didn't move with the Red-caps,
rather alongside them. There was never any sign of a
second bird, but as there were two patches of stones
with two separate groups of birds in each, and more
birds up in the sand dunes, who knows? Except one
might expect members of the same species to keep in
company.

As the tide ebbed, large numbers of Crested and Common
Terns and lesser numbers of Little Terns, were feeding
in the surf just off the slope of the beach, with many
Wedge-tailed Shearwaters feeding and roosting on the
water. An Osprey was over the lagoon and 7 Golden
Plovers were roosting on the dry sand in front of the
tern fence. Some Red-capped Plovers were also up here
and flew into the fenced area when we arrived, which
is what alertedus to the group - we didn't see the
pink cup until we were leaving.

On Thursday 28th February, further north just past
Laurieton when driving towards the north end of Crowdy
Head Nat. Park, Black-faced Monarch, Striped
Honeyeater calling, Whistling Kite and 2 Ospreys were
by the Camden River.  At Kylie Tennant's spot, was a
male Cicadabird, Satin Flycatchers and Scaly-breasted
Lorikeets in flowering gums. About half way down the
road through the park, we saw 3 Drongoes, an immature
Whistler and Satin Flycatcher. And the place was alive
with White-cheeked Honeyeaters. Also a black and white
feral cat on the road at the final stretch.

You can now drive through the park to Crowdy Head
although the road is not yet made up, full of deep
puddles (4WD advisable at this stage), and not
formally opened but the gates are open.

And at Crowdy Head Lighthouse, the Osprey flew past
just as we arrived!

At Harrington the same day, a Hobby was on the wires
near the Jetty turn off, a Sea-eagle perched across
the river, an Osprey on one of the posts in the river
and 2 Striated (Mangrove) Herons hunting from the
oyster poles in the water.

Penny