birding-aus

Pilotbirds in the Rylstone area

Subject: Pilotbirds in the Rylstone area
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:47:22 +1000
Last Sunday I was in the Rylstone area searching for Regent Honeyeaters
(at this time of year they appear to be widely dispersed, probably feeding
on mistletoe).  While in Nullo State Forest east of Rylstone (the nearest
reasonably sized town to the Capertee Valley) I heard a Pilotbird at
Hopping Harry's Hollow (what a great name!).  This was a moist gully
surrounded by open Scribbly Gum (Euc. rossii) forest on deep sandy soils.

This is about 14 km west-north-west of Mount Corricudgy where I found
Pilotbirds in 1997.  This was then the north-west limit of there range but
I believe they have been located on other smaller basalt caps just to the
north.  It wasn't that long ago that Pilot birds were thought to only
range north to the Colo River.  One wonders if there are other Pilotbirds
hidden away in similar moist gullies further to the north-west.  I guess
it is all a matter of looking.  Mind you, a lot of this country is
difficult to access.

David Geering

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.