birding-aus

Honeyeaters, so there's no mistake ....

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Honeyeaters, so there's no mistake ....
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:41:47 -0800 (PST)
"Stuart Cooney asked for proof about the bees not
being good for some birds.

Well I'll answer you Stuart, but I'm explaining about
the leathal nature of bee-stings on birds and some
humans.

Mr. Cooney thinks "habitat" but that's NOT the worry,
it's that the bees and the birds drink from the same
nectar-areas and the stinging can be fatal, and
usually IS fatal from domesticated bees.

I'm not sure about Oz native bee's and there stinging
effect on native honeyeaters but I will find this easy
to discover for him.

On native bees, I think these should be encouraged but
I think imported bee's should be totally discouraged.
Not to mention many people especially young humans are
allergic to bee-stings. Far too much emphesis has been
placed on apiary things both here in Oz and in NZ, I
think??

No wonder the honeyeater numbers decline...!

What I understood from the ironbark protection scheme
was to recreate the "natural" environment, before the
white guy and his giant bees all arrived. New Zealand
is mad for bees too.

WHY????????

I'd be delighted to see Australia NOT make the same
mistakes (and obviously, have the same olde arguments)
as the birders in America have already done. However I
realize it's like spitting in the wind on these
listserves ... that's why I got off all the other
ones I was on. We try to do our best to conserve and
yet? lets tow an olde Submarine from Western Australia
to Western port bay, stir up the waters of the
declared
ramsar site, muddy the waters of the Hastings
foreshore, damage the foreshore then wonder where did
the waders and pelicans go?

John A. Gamblin