birding-aus

Sulphur-crested Cockatoos & PBFD again

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Sulphur-crested Cockatoos & PBFD again
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 14:57:30 +1100
More on this.
Seeing JAG's comments on my message (fearing for my fine reputation, as he put it on 22-2-2002), has inspired me to write down one additional speculation of mine. True I don't know for certain that what is described for N Qld is this disease but it is a pretty fair guess.

That speculation of mine being that one of many factors that just may have contributed to the documented huge increase in abundance of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, Crimson Rosellas and Australian King-Parrots in Canberra over the last 20 years (the larger two species are susceptible to PBFD, I don't know about Crimson Rosellas, I haven't seen that), is the decline in incidence in PDFD in Canberra during that time. In the mid 1980s, many people noticed infected and sick birds all over but there have been very few reports in recent years. In the same time Eastern Rosellas and Galahs have remained stable in numbers. Demonstrating a connection is very difficult.

Philip