birding-aus

Reuters

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Reuters
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:12:52 -0800 (PST)
G'day All,

I was just thinking wouldn't it be nice if a local
council within an area where duck murdering takes
place were to build bullet proof vests for those in
their care? but then again what helpful task does a
"Windy Mere Duck" perform? the only thing I can think
of is that a duck tells Rodney and Dennis how good or
bad the english bats are going :^D then of course in
comes this email, which convinces me we care more for
the Common Toads then we do fluffy ducks ...

John A. Gamblin (hoping some are smiling at least)
LONDON (Reuters) - Toads are safely back on the path
to love after a special ramp was built to help them
cross a busy road to their breeding pond in southwest
England. Hundreds of toads were squashed on their slow
journey from their woodland home to the pond in
Shaldon, Devon. Wildlife experts and the local council
brought in metal ramps to help the frogs up a high
curb at the side of the road.

"Every February the toads return to breed at the pond
where they were hatched, but to do so they have to
cross quite a busy road," Stewart Muir, director of
ecological group Shaldon Wildlife Trust, told Reuters.

"Before we had about 200 killed each year, but this
time we have had very few fatalities." The Trust
teamed up with Devon County Council to bring in a
range of measures to help the toads.

The road between the toads' woodland and breeding pond
was closed at key times and local villagers would help
the toads reach the pond.

The common toad, whose Latin name is Bufo bufo, is one
of Britain's largest amphibians. It feasts on a diet
of insects and slugs and is known to cover long
distances overland to reach its breeding ponds.

Hey Mike N and Tony R where exactly is Toad Hall?