birding-aus

Re: East Timor

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: East Timor
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:48:47 +1100
> Can anyone help me with lists or sites on the Net about the birds of East
> Timor? I may be going there for a period of time soon, and hope to get
> some birding done.
> Marnix Zwankhuizen

Hi Marnix,

See an excellent trip report from Sumba and Timor - which includes a list of
birds. (Note: the report was is by some members of birding-aus.).

http://www.crosswinds.net/~birdtrips/Timor91.html#list

Also a trip report from Indonesia at:
http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/indonesia/sumatrajava/sumjav2000.htm
and Flores and Komodo (Indonesia), November 1999
http://www.surfbirds.com/mb/Trip%20Reports/lsundas.html

Also some good text are:

White, C.M.N. and Bruce, M.D. (1986).  The Birds of Wallacea (Sulawesi, The
Moluccas and Lesser Sunda Islands, Indonesia): an annotated check-list. B.O.U.
Checklist No. 7.  Brit. Ornithol. Union: London. Cost around AU$100.

Coates, Bishop and Gardner (1997): A Guide to the Birds of Wallacea:
Sulawesi, The Moluccas and Lesser Sunda Islands, Indonesia.

Jepson and Ounsted (editors) (1997): Birding Indonesia: a Birdwatcher's
Guide to the World's Largest Archipelago.  Periplus Editions in assoc. with
Birdlife International.

 - and finally a book entitled Birds of Timor in German - not sure if there is
an English translation?

Hellmayr, C.E. 1914. Die Avifauna von Timor. IN: C.B. Haniel (ed),
Zoologie von Timor, Ergebnisse der unter Leitung von Joh. Wanner im
Jahre 1911 Ausgefuhrten Timor-Expedition, Leif. 1: 1-112.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Tim Dolby
Dept of Bus and E-com