birding-aus

Accessing Archives

To: Peter Ewin <>
Subject: Accessing Archives
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:35:23 +1100 (EST)
On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Peter Ewin wrote:
> I have been trying to access the Birding-Aus archives at work with no luck
> (I am desperately trying not to get a computer at home, as I may forget what
> sunlight looks like). I get an error saying that "Organizational Policies
> Prohibit Access to this Page" which isthe usual message that comes up when
> trying to access naughty pages (or s I have been told). However, when I went
> to our IT department they said that "the link is bad" which should give a
> different message I would have thought.
> My question is does anyone else access the archives through a firewall, and
> if so do they have any problems? Is this a known problem, or are my IT
> department incompetent (won't be the first time).

Assuming you have the link right:
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/
access should be no different to any other web page,  unless your
organization does have some sort of filtering.

There are been 2500 page hits already today so the archive seems to be
working normally.

Somone at the defence department (inadvertently) triggered a security
alert a few days ago by browsing the archive.  Intermediary network
software at UNSW added a few extra TCP/IP packets to the connection
which over-zealous security people/software at the defence department
apparently managed to interpret as an intrusion attempt.

So if you are using a defence department computer, its possible access
to birding-aus is currently prevented.

Someone made a request to deleted a spam message from the archive.
I don't really have time to manually delete messages - unless there is
a good reason, e.g. the message defamatory.

Andrew Taylor