birding-aus

The Big Twitch- The Convict Trail, Part 2

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: The Big Twitch- The Convict Trail, Part 2
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:26:35 +1100
Having flown into Australia's first convict settlement (Sydney Jan 1788) from our second convict settlement (Norfolk Island- later in 1788), I immediately caught a plane to our third convict settlement (Hobart 1803).

The purpose was to go on a pelagic off Eaglehawk Neck the next day with a Taiwanese tour group. I would be visiting Tasmania later in the year so didn't try for any endemics, yet on the drive down I still added Black-faced Cormorant, Pacific Gull, Tasmanian Scrubwren (a bird that will probably be lumped with the mainland scrubwrens in the next checklist, but for now it counts as a separate species) Green Rosella, White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Tasmanian Native-hen and Forest Raven.

Waiting for the tour group to arrive the next morning I picked up a bonus bird, a Beautiful Firetail feeding in the carpark at Pirates Bay. The sea had been dead calm the night before, but this morning a strong easterly had whipped up the waves. The "Pauletta" though a small boat handled the conditions exceptionally well, and I felt really well throughout the trip. Pity the same couldn't be said of the tour group. Their leader, Peter Lansley, had ensured they all took their sea-sickness tablets in plenty of time. The tablets worked for Peter, and two others in the group but within half an hour six of the group were all lying prone vomiting politely into garbage bags.

Before they had succumbed we had already seen a few birds on the way out to Hippolyte Rocks and the shelf including new birds for my year list, Shy Albatross, Buller's Albatross, White-headed Petrel (the only one for the day) and Fairy Prion.

At the shelf, things seemed strangely quiet considering what we had seen on the way out. The crew began chumming and after a while a couple of White-chinned Petrels flew in. This was the precursor to an onslaught of birds. Over the next hour numbers built up massively. The number of White-chinneds reached close to forty, with birds coming very close, including twelve fighting over a fish carcass that was thrown to them. Adding to the magnificent sight, they were joined by very close Buller's and Shy Albatross, Short-tailed Shearwaters, Wandering, Yellow-nosed and Black-browed Albatross. Even the Wanderers came to within a couple of metres, a truly awesome sight.

Things were just getting better and better, it was only a matter of time before something really rare turned up. A potential Royal Albatross was spotted in the distance. It was coming in closer.

Then the mutiny occurred. Rousing from her prone misery, one of the tour group cried, "We go back now!" and the others raised their ashen faces, nodding in agreement. The trip was, after all specifically undertaken for their enjoyment so reluctantly we headed back home, leaving those rarities just out of reach.

The same boat went out the next week and by the sounds of it, they didn't have as good a trip, but they did get five Gould's Petrels, a bird I was desperately after. I couldn't attend this trip because I had to attend a friends' wedding. Some friends. Their happiness came at the expense of my best chance of Gould's. How do you forgive something like that?

I flew back to a rain soaked Sydney that night. A quick check on Birding-Aus at the airport determined my route back to Melbourne. I would go via Royal National Park where a Superb Fruit-Dove had been recorded, and then along the coast to pick up the Ringed Plover at Marlo.

Arriving at Royal at 4:30 in the morning I realised in the darkness that there was no chance of the Fruit-Dove as the pelting rain had flooded the entrance to the track it had been seen on. So I drove on. The rain was so thick I didn't see a bird, any bird until about eight o'clock when a sodden Magpie could be seen through the gloom.

The rain cleared south of Bateman's Bay and I stopped at the Mummuga Creek Forest Walk just out of Narooma. Here amongst others, I saw a few new birds: Striated Heron, Noisy Friarbird, Azure Kingfisher, Leaden Flycatcher and Variegated Fairy-wren. Just as entertaining was reading the Forest Commission propaganda on the signs along the walk. One in particular caught my attention.

 It read, " ... without disturbance [rainforest] species would take over the [eucalyptus] forest." Thank God for the Forest Commission, keeping that rampant rainforest at bay. Without their good work, our children could be overrun by feral rainforest species in the middle of the night.

Into Victoria now, and a all too brief couple of hours at Mallacoota saw the list rocket along with some particularly good birds including: Wonga Pigeon, Satin Bowerbird, Eastern Whipbird, Brown Gerygone, Sooty Oystercatcher, Glossy Black-Cockatoo, Red-browed Treecreeper, Scarlet Honeyeater, and Brush Cuckoo.

I arrived at Marlo an hour before dark. With the vague direction recollected from Mike Carter's Birding-Aus message I made my way to the mouth of the once mighty Snowy River. With the damming of the river back in the fifties it now reaches the coast in an emasculated trickle. Going on instinct I headed to where I thought the bird was most likely to be seen. I added Little Tern and Hooded Plover without much trouble, and then I managed to find the Ringed Plover. It was getting too dark to get any photographic record, so I resolved to come back the next morning.

The next morning I failed to find the bird at all. I did add Fairy Tern, but there was no sign of the Ringed Plover. It turned out I had been looking in the wrong area. I did not know to look a further couple of hundred metres on, nearer the tern colony,  so I was incredibly lucky to have fluked it the night before.

I spent the rest of the day meandering back to Melbourne via Cape Conran (Gang Gang, Southern Emu-wren) Sale (no Whistling Ducks seen) and the Strzelecki Ranges (Pilotbird, Grey Currawong, Superb Lyrebird, Brown Goshawk, and Blue-winged Parrot).

That night, (6th February) I arrived back in Melbourne after my first big "Big Twitch" trip with the total on 261, a total of 84 additions since the day I left for Wollongong twelve days earlier, including twelve new life birds for me.

But my convict trail odyssey doesn't end there. After a couple of days recovery, I was out on Sunday 10th to do my regular Seaford Swamp survey. Again Peter Lansley joined me, and we stopped in briefly at Edithvale in the hope of seeing the Long-toed Stint, but it wasn't around, though we again got good views from the hide of Spotted Crake, Magpie Goose, and a Marsh Sandpiper coming into breeding plumage.

Conditions at Seaford were disappointing, for despite recent rains, the best areas for waders had dried out completely. Only a hundred Sharpies and seven Latham's Snipe brightened up a rather dull day. Due to the paucity of birds, we finished the survey an hour or two earlier than expected. There was that Red-necked Phalarope at Hospital Swamp near Geelong, but it was going on six, would we have time to get there before dark?

We decided to risk it. We thought we would save time by headed south down the Mornington Peninsula and catching the car ferry from Sorrento (another convict link- Sorrento was the original site of the convict settlement that eventually moved to Hobart) across to the Bellarine Peninsula. (For those of you not from Melbourne, Seaford is virtually directly opposite Port Phillip Bay to Geelong.) We arrived at Sorrento at one minute to seven. The last ferry left at seven. Made it. The trip across the bay yielded little apart from masses of Gannets and a pod of Bottlenosed Dolphins.

Once ashore at Queenscliff we raced off toward Hospital Swamp trying to beat the sinking sun. We found the site, got permission from the owners and headed out. Nothing. We were about to head back to the car defeated when Peter had one last look and got the previously hidden bird in his scope as it came out to swim. Red-necked Phalarope, a nice bird to have on the list. Five minutes later it was too dark to see.

I drove back to Melbourne very satisfied, but knowing I couldn't rest easy as the next morning I was off for a week in Brisbane.