birding-aus

Birding over the weekend.

Subject: Birding over the weekend.
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:21:56 +1000

G'day all

Lets have more birding posts?

I had a great weekend with one new bird and a few others worth mentioning.
Basically, I stopped a few times on my way to Melbourne (via Ballarat, Saturday)
and back (via Geelong, Sunday).

First stop: Lake Bolac for 3 Great Cormorants and a Darter roosting just below
the picnic ground.

Second stop: Chinamans Swamp east of Westmere for at least 500 Banded Stilts
feeding and occasionally taking off and flying in one huge coordinated flock.

Third stop: Long Forest State Park (between Bacchus Marsh and Melton).  A mixed
group of Thornbills had discovered a Southern Boobook and flushed it from its
roost into a sparsely leaved eucalypt.  Great daytime views of a rather annoyed
owl.

Fourth stop: Banyule wetlands (where the Painted Snipe was late last year).  A
pair of Tawny Frogmouths and several Latham's Snipe were the highlights here.

Fifth stop: The hide at Belmont Common.  Nothing unusual here but a pleasant
half hour watching Hoary-headed Grebes close up.

Sixth stop: Hospital Swamp where Chris and Rosemary Lester and myself found the
Red-necked Phalarope (tick for me) and a Pectoral Sandpiper among lots of other
small waders.

Seventh stop: Large swamp/lake area a few km south of Cressy for 2 Cape Barren
Geese feeding close to the road.  This is a reliable spot for the geese I'm
told.

Cheers

Steve Clark
Hamilton, Victoria