birding-aus

Summer migrants - Mornington Peninsula, Vic

To: <>
Subject: Summer migrants - Mornington Peninsula, Vic
From: "Val Ford" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 09:00:12 -0800
Last Wednesday, 13/2, the Mornington branch of BOCA, Penboc, had it first
outing for the year at the Baldrys corner of Greens Bush on the Mornington
Peninsula in southern Victoria. Walking the 1.6 km Baldry circuit enabled us
to check the status of two late arrival summer migrants. Rufous Fantails and
Satin Flycatchers are the last of the summer migrants to appear in this
area.  Arriving at the end of October they are usually on their way north
again by the beginning of April.

The temperature was probably around 30oC, one of our southern Victoria's few
days over 22oC this summer.  So a 10am start meant that many birds were
probably having a siesta whilst we were lurking out there, however we did
see 28 species.

A Rufous Fantail was seen in the car park when we arrived along with Crimson
Rosella, Striated Thornbill, White-eared Honeyeater and Superb Fairy-wren.
Walking on the gently undulating track beside Main Creek we ticked off
Golden Whistler, Grey Shrike-thrush, Grey Fantail, Brown Thornbill,
Silvereye, Grey Butcherbird, Laughing Kookaburra and Spotted Turtle-Dove and
the first of the Satin Flycatchers.

In the light forest away from the creek Varied Sittella, Red Wattlebird,
Yellow-faced, White-naped and New Holland Honeyeaters, Eastern Spinebill and
Satin Flycatcher were very active in flowering eucalypts and mistletoe.
Straw-necked Ibis and Welcome Swallow flew overhead.  An Eastern Yellow
Robin and White-throated Treecreeper looked on whilst we searched for and
finally found the elusive Spotted and Striated Pardalotes.

Whilst having lunch back at the cars, watched by the Rufous Fantail, we
reflected on the larger than expected number of Satin Flycatchers and that
they were nearly as vocal as the Noisy Miners.  In some instances it
appeared that males were sorting out territories and we wondered if they
were very late breeding at Baldry's or because of the wet and cool summer
were confused and thinking about nesting again.

Val Ford
Sorrento, Vic