birding-aus

Short-tailed grass Wren

Subject: Short-tailed grass Wren
From: "Nicholas Talbot" <>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 15:22:03 +1100
Hi All,
Thanks to all the people who responded to my request for GPS readings for the Short Tailed Grass Wren (and Chestnut Breasted Whiteface). I forgot to keep the address of the Short Tailed Grass Wren website (even though I printed out the information from it) so if the person who sent me that could send it again that would be great. I have just returned from my trip to Port Pirie which included a trip to Willow Springs in the Flinders Ranges where the STGW is found (although I didn't get up to the Whiteface site this time). The visit to Willow Springs started (on 27/1/02) with a flock of 22 Banded Lapwings just near the turn off (S31 27.164 E138 43.616) which included at least ten immature birds. Other highlights on that day were several Wedge-tailed Eagles, a pair of Brown Falcon and lots of Red Rumped Parrots. I found the Grass Wrens on the next morning (28/1/02) with the help of Jeremy Robertson. We had very good views of 2 (and possibly 3)of the Grass wrens at S31 27.472 E138 44.578. The birds seemed to be moving around us in a circle and came fairly close. As I was told in the emails I received about the STGW, it was a magic moment!

Some other highlights of my time at Port Pirie were a pair of Spotted Harrier at S33 02.377 E138 01.523 (which is on the highway between Pirie and Port Augusta). They were there on three separate days. A Pair of Diamond Doves on the Blinman to Parachilna Road S31 06.938 E138 38.472. And some Rainbow Bee-eaters at Angorincha on the same road and a White Browed treecreeper and Scared Kingfisher a little further towards Parachilna. A trip to Mount Remarkable National Park yielded a Hobby, White Browed Babblers and Chestnut Rumped Thornbill, while another trip to Telowie Gorge yielded a Collared Sparrowhawk, lots of Black Shouldered Kites, several Peaceful Doves and an Elegant Parrot as well as two Yellow Footed Rock Wallaby.