birding-aus

Ringed Plover at Marlo, VIC

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Ringed Plover at Marlo, VIC
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 22:22:01 +1100
Today I followed up on the surprising report by Richard Alcorn on the Victorian Bird-Line of a Little Ringed Plover on 22 January at the mouth of the Snowy River at Marlo. It seemed strange that a fresh water wader would frequent that marine habitat. As the bird is, as I suspected, a Ringed Plover, it is perfectly at home. It is not, as I had hoped, a Semipalmated Plover! The drawings in Pizzey and Knight are misleading.
     The bird feeds on a falling or low tide on the sand bars on the back-water just east of the mouth of the Snowy, and on a rising or full tide, loafs in the huge Little/Fairy Tern colony on the dune on the seaward side of the backwater. You have to wade or walk a long way down the spit to access the tern colony.
    This is probably the 12th or 13th Australian record.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza   Vic    3930