birding-aus

Re: birding trip

To: "lorna bloom" <>
Subject: Re: birding trip
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:22:19 +1100
Hello Lorna
Your memory is excellent, I did have a trip with Klaus in December and it
was very successful. Before starting with him I had a week up at Kingfisher
Park on the Tablelands where I was hoping to find four birds, Blueheaded
Parrotfinch, Noisy Pitta, Pied Monarch Flycatcher and Bushhen. I'm happy to
say I found all of them! There were Noisy Pittas everywhere, in fact , at
one time I counted five birds from the one position. They were waking me by
calling just outside my window. Coincidentally, here I met the chap who was
to be my partner with Klaus, a Yorkshireman named Chris. Hall who since the
death of his wife a year ago, has continually travelled the world finding
birds. We got along very well together, he was a good companion and a
knowledgeable birdo.
We flew from Cairns to Coen and thence to Lockhart River Mission where Klaus
met us and took us about forty kms north to our base in a superb tropical
house on a hillside overlooking  the Coral  Sea at Portland Roads on Cape
Weymouth. From here he took us by 4x4 to the various birding spots in the
rain forest ,the adjacent sclerophyll woodland or to the foreshore and
wetland at Chilli Beach. From here we were also driven several hundred yards
away to the home of Sandra,who prepared and served memorable dinners.
When I say "memorable", I still think of them with pleasure.
The weather was hot and dry which was a good excuse for relaxing in the airy
living room enjoying the panoramic view , the pleasant company and one or
two cool VB's.
The party consisted of a couple from Germany, here to photograph Palm
Cockatoos (they got some excellent shots), a husband and wife from
Toowoomba, Qld.,Chris from the UK and myself from NSW We found all the wet
season migrants particularly the Redbellied Pitta and of the birds which I
particularly wished to find I only failed on two species namely Mangrove
Robin and Spotted Whistling Duck. These latter birds had apparently left the
rapidly drying swamp at the back of Chilli Beach where they were usually to
be found.
The birds seen were as follow:
Orangefooted Scrubfowl
Brush Turkey