birding-aus

Odd behaviour - Magpie

To: "Tony Russell" <>
Subject: Odd behaviour - Magpie
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:59:56 +1100
It is a fairly common thing for young Magpies to do that (at least around here - Canberra. I even saw it in my local park yesterday). It appears to be a form of submission display and often leads to aggression from the parent as soon as the young bird stands up, so they often do that until the parent moves away. It may be used in the period before the young are finally chased off by the parents.
PV