birding-aus

Lord Howe Island

Subject: Lord Howe Island
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:25:21 +1000
Hi everyone

I have visited Lord Howe Island between Jan 10th and 14th and
even though I had a limited time, I did managed to get to Ball's Pyramid
with Jack Schick.
Ball's Pyramid is located about 30km of Lord Howe Island and it has colony
of
interesting seabirds such as Kermadec Petrel.
Jack grew up there and he knows quite well about where birds are.
If someone wants to visit Ball's Pyramid ,must contact him.
Actually when I went Ball's Pyramid on 13th of January, there was almost no
wind with minor swell,
but no other boat owner was brave enough to make a trip to there.

Quick summary for Ball's Pyramid trip is
We left about 10am and directly headed for Ball's Pyramid.
Saw first Kermadec Petrel about 5miles to the Pyramid.
We stopped the boat and waited for birds to come in.
Very quiet for first 15-20min, but soon after Jack started clean up
King fish which we caught earlier, Fresh-footed Sherwater started cominig
in and
eventually about 10 Kermadec Petrels and almost equal number of
White-bellied storm-petrels came by
and several of them came very close to the boat.
Eventually we sailed to the Ball's Pyramid and saw many Grey Ternlet
there.(Saw fer Kermadecs there.)
We returned around 3pm and it was a pleasant trip and enjoyed many other
sea birds.

Lord Howe Island was a delight and peaceful place and I really enjoyed good
selection of seabirds.

Ted Shimba