birding-aus

Anas crecca status

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Anas crecca status
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:24:17 +1000
Alex Farias wrote:

>Each year a few males-and doubtless females-of the Eurasian form turn up in
North America, that giving rise to speculation that >somewhere in North
America a few of these so-called "Europeian Teal" may be breeding.

And John Leonard added:

>Clements, in his Checklist of the Birds of the World, has them as the same
sp, but in the updates on the web-site that the book's >publisher maintains
he splits them!

In David Sibley's recent "Guide to Birds", published by the National Audubon
Society, (a great book, and easily the best field guide I've got on my
bookshelves for any avifauna), he shows the American and Eurasian forms of
Anas crecca, along with an illustration of an adult male American x Eurasian
intergrade, which displays both the white scapular stripe of the Eurasian
bird and the white breast bar of the American.

He also mentions that the east Asian birds which are to be found in western
North America average slightly larger overall.

But whether his illustration is merely putative or based on a specimen isn't
clear.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056