birding-aus

Swift Parrots on mainland

To: Chris Tzaros <>
Subject: Swift Parrots on mainland
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 18:15:12 -0800 (PST)
G'day All,
Whilst walking out of Mullet Street, down Salmon
Street heading towards my local library. I passed the
beaut very old flowering gum tree at number 113 Salmon
Street. In it were at least 40 Swirt Parrots, I think
they are late this year? but then some was the
flowering of the olde flowering gum tree.

Chris Tzaros <> wrote:

G'day Jack and others,

Deb Saunders, Swift Parrot Project Officer, is away
til early April, so I thought I'd take this one for
now.  I'm sure she would be interested in this
observation of 'summer' swifties on the mainland.

I remember seeing a single bird near Bendigo on
Christmas day 1995, and there are only a handful of
other similar mainland records.  Perhaps this latest
sighting is one of those, or alternatively birds may
already be moving back from breeding grounds in
Tasmania.

I'd go for that for sure Chris!!!!

Another wild card is that they could well be escaped
avairy birds, though they are quite rare in private
collections. It is interesting to note when the
swifties return to the mainland each year and relate
it to environmental conditions and eucalypt flowering.

I remember in 1997, Grey Box flowered exceptionally
well throughout central Victoria during March/April
(records for March are considered reasonably early for
mainland swifties), and there were already high
numbers of Swifties about in central Vic.

Could they, the swifties, have got wind of the fires?

The first record for 1997 was at Bendigo on 28th Feb.
I guess all south-easterners could now resume
'tuning-in' to Swift Parrot calls when visiting likely
areas.  Any reports should be directed to Debbie
Saunders at the Queanbeyan NPWS office, email

Chris Tzaros

Thanks Chris and Debbie for all you do. I just love
the chattering they make.