birding-aus

warning--bone-headed retailer

Subject: warning--bone-headed retailer
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 00:56:06 +0000

I'm sure that most birding-ausers will not be buying optical equipment from high street chains, but I just thought I'd post this message about the chain which trades in Canberra as 'The City Camera House'.

I bought a little pair of Hanimex binoculars from my young son (costing about $55). Soon after Xmas a lens in them became displaced, and I returned them to the shop to be returned to the manufacturer. The shop then tried to charge me $30 for returning them, although they were still under warranty.

As far as I am concerned if I buy something that requires warranty service the shop should in courtesy return it to the manufacturer for me. I can see why they might have a fee for non-warranty repairs, but not for warranty returns.

Just thought I'd communicate this to birding-ausers, so that no-one else gets caught like I did.

John Leonard

John Leonard (Dr)

http://users.bigpond.com/john.leonard
PO Box 243, Woden, ACT 2606, Australia