birding-aus

Raptor ID

To: <>
Subject: Raptor ID
From: "Claire Stevenson" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 20:10:15 +0800
Hi Birdos

I had an enquiry from a person in Vic on the ID of a raptor pair they had seen on their property at the same time in the last three years. Now, I'm in Perth so I'm not up on my "Bird of south-eastern Victoria", and thought you may be able to help.

They have described the birds as "a pair". They come at the same time every year(over summer) and stay for a few months before leaving again. They have said that they have a large wingspan about 3.5' and are often seen cirlcling the property. Unfortunately I haven't been give any details of the landscape where the birds are or colourations, patterns, calls or the wingshape in flight features of the birds. Only other detail told was that they roost/nest on the upper-most branches of tall trees. I have eliminated species based on size and local and have come down to the following: Wedgie (of course), Square-tailed Kite, Whistling Kite, Spotted Harrier or possibly, but unlikely, Little Eagle. They have stated that it is not a White-bellied Sea-Eagle. I haven't got a clue to the migratory patterns of raptors in the eastern states, and this is a detail the people are most interested in, and it's got my curiosity too!!

Thanks guys for any help ..... : )

CS