birding-aus

Needlepoints [swifts for mike] and Groucho [Marx] Bird

Subject: Needlepoints [swifts for mike] and Groucho [Marx] Bird
From: Laurie & Leanne Knight <>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 16:53:35 +1000
I was out the Connondale Range way [~26 34S, 152 40E] on Sat poking
around the spots Greg Roberts suggested, to see if I could stumble on
the light rails and yellow-eyed candy snatchers he had reported seeing a
few days ago.  No joy there, though for Mike's records, there were a few
Needlepoints circling over Little Yabba Ck around 8.30 am.  Four-eyed
monarchs, log scratchers and noisy patters were otherwise as interesting
as it got.

So I headed up to Moy Pocket [east of Kenilworth Bluff] to have a gander
at the country Greg had been in.  As I was poking about in a spot of
'gallery' forest [black beans, piccabeens, camphor laurels, fig trees,
sundry vines etc] on the bank of the Mary River, I flushed an owl sized
bird, which flew about 20 metres.

"You beauty" I thought, and crept up to and peered around a large
campher laurel.  It was groucho bird with an orange-brown eye, strangely
perched mid-way along a 3cm diameter branch [with one foot placed by
upward branching twig] about 6 metres above the ground.  Whoo-hoo, a
marbled groucho bird.  It looked bigger than a cacklingbarra, had a
distinct whitish band above its eye and an inverted black V above the
white band.  It had mottled brown wings [a bit like the photo in
Reader's Digest guide] and a pale downy looking chest.  It had delicate
smallish feet and very large pupils.  It seemed a bit nervous early on,
moving its head about a bit as it studied me.  Eventually over the half
hour in which I studied it from various angles, it relaxed into the
classic groucho bird posture.

Amazing what you can find in a chopped up, weedy area like the Mary
River Valley.

Regards, Laurie.

.