birding-aus

Hooded Plovers - Mornington Peninsula, Vic

To: <>
Subject: Hooded Plovers - Mornington Peninsula, Vic
From: "Val Ford" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 08:18:55 -0800
After reading the sad report about the devastation done to the Little Tern
population in East Gippsland I went out to check on how the endangered
Hooded Plovers were faring in this incredibly cold and windy weather that we
have been experiencing for the past week.  As a member of the Friend of the
Mornington Peninsula Hooded Plover group we keep breeding records and
general observations of the Hooded Plovers in designated areas.

Eventhough the bad weather has kept many holiday people away from the
beaches I still found one nest trampled.  This was the pair's third nest so
far this year.  The first clutch resulted in two fledglings, the second
failed to hatch or were taken as soon as they hatched.  [One year they had 6
clutches].

However at the end of the beach 2 adult Hooded Plovers with 2 chicks,
probably 2 days old, were observed.  Phoned my 'plover watch' partner to
pass on the great news.

She phoned back 3 hours later to say that there was only one chick.  Her
husband, whilst watching the plovers with his binoculars, saw a Silver Gull
fly in and take one - he is now being counselled.

Being a member of an endangered species friends group is not easy.

Val Ford
Sorrento, Vic