birding-aus

Blue Mtns Bushfires

To: Graham <>, Birding-aus <>
Subject: Blue Mtns Bushfires
From: Timothy Hyde <>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 11:33:36 +1100
One thing about birding after Bushfires
is that the Lyrebirds are easier to spot
as they come back in to forage.

Up here in Hazelbrook ( Mid Mountains )
so far so good , but very windy and smokey in parts.
We were hoping to have our first Bush Xmas
out at Capertee but have stuck with our house here.

New Years Eve we were able to give a little back.
We were performing at the Clarendon in Katoomba
and as we had 30 spare seats we invited a Rural Fire Service crew from
the Far North West NSW zone for dinner and show.

They had a great time
and of course were hugely welcomed by the
mainly local audience.
( and we got to put up the "Full House" sign.)

The crew couldn't believe their luck that night
(they were calling their families saying
"you will not believe what we are doing tonight")
but the next morning were back on the front lines
(Winmale then Turramurra) putting in a 24 hour shift.

2002 hasn't quite got off to the start we all hoped for
but there's plenty of time left to improve

best thoughts to all

Timothy Hyde
Blue Mountains / Capertee Valley