birding-aus

Birds in Lord of the Rings movie

To: <>
Subject: Birds in Lord of the Rings movie
From: "Paul Taylor" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 15:02:58 +1100
> ... and that huge condor (?) that sweeps Gandalf away gives
> the cry of the (American) Red-tailed Hawk!

I believe there is an unwritten law of film-making that all
raptors sound like Red-tailed Hawks...  The giant eagle was
apparently Gwaihir [warning: may contain some LoTR spoilers]:

   Gwaihir is the King of the giant eagles of Middle Earth,
   and has the title Lord of all Birds.  He is a descendant
   of Thorondor, Lord of the Eagles of the Crissaegrim, who
   aided the eldar in the First Age. He is a massive bird,
   with a wingspan of more than ten meters. At some time
   prior to Third Age 2941, he befriended Gandalf when the
   wizard cured him of a poison arrow, probably orcish.
   He served both Gandalf and Radagast as friend and
   messenger and was friendly with both Elrond and Galadriel.

   In 2941, he and his followers rescued Gandalf and Thorin's
   dwarves, and later led his people in a crucial role in the
   Battle of Five Armies.  During the War of the Ring, he
   served the Free People three times.  First, he rescued
   Gandalf from imprisonment in Orthanc.  Second, he bore
   from the peak of Celebdil after the wizard had been
   returned to life.  Finally, he rescued Frodo and Sam
   from the lava that flowed down the sides of Orodruin
   after the destruction of the One Ring.

At one point where the hobbits were travelling through the
fields past a few ravens, I heard what sounded like Australian
Magpies;

Paul Taylor.