birding-aus

Lyre Birds & fires

To: <>
Subject: Lyre Birds & fires
From: "Matt Hughes" <>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 12:02:22 +1100
Hi all, We live at Blaxland NSW in the lower Blue Mtns. We live on the escarpment with a bush gullies behind & at the end of the street. We've had fires across the road, the top in late October - the bottom & the end gully in the last few days & thankfully none in the back gully.

We have been recording birds for the last 2-3 yrs & last year first found Spotted Quail-Thrush, Chestnut-Rumped Heathwren, White-Browed Scrubwrens & had the return of Variegated Fairy-Wrens across the road on the escarpment. We feared the worst for the Heathwrens after the October fires but found them again in unburnt areas down the road in December. This area has now been burnt extensively & we haven't found them in brief reckys around the back gully - hopefully they have made it round like the Fairy wrens.

Importantly, we located & had pleasure watching 4 Lyrebirds (Male & 3 females / imm.) in the back gully. The male quite vocal, which to our ears is unusual for this time of year. He was also quite vocal shortly after the October fire.

The resident Collared Sparrowhawk has been frequently patrolling the area & neighbours spotted 2 large raptors ( Little eagles, Pacific Bazas, Whistling Kites & Wedgies have been infrequently recorded - even had a White-Bellied Sea Eagle fly over once on return to the Nepean River) - otherwise the Grey Butcherbirds, Kookaburras & Pied Currawongs have been very active. Regretfully, Common Mynas, which have been slowly progressing down the street, have been most visible - (any suggestions for methods of removal).

Have visited friends at Warrimoo whose houses are ok but damage to property & surrounds (some of their neighbours not fairing so well) - varied conversations about the damage to bush & surrounds thankfully punctuated by frequent bird calls & visits - bird baths must have never looked so good.
Matt