birding-aus

Rufous Night Heron

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Rufous Night Heron
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 19:31:48 +1000
Those of you in Melbourne may be experiencing the coolest December on record
but Queensland it is b........ hot.  At 11 am this morning it was about 33
degrees at my place with humidity over 80% and bright sunshine.

I looked out of the window and there flying towards the north was a mature
Rufous Night Heron.  We are only about 900 metres from the water but there
is no suitable habitat within a kilometre in the direction it came (and I
doubt whether that is suitable) and nothing in the direction it was flying
for several kilometres.

I was so surprised that I needed to call another birder to reassure me that
the heat hadn't affected my eyesight.  After describing what I had seen
(several times) she convinced me that I either had a vivid dream or it
really was there.  As it was too hot to sleep, I finally decided that I
actually had seen the bird.

Terry Pacey
27°57'02"S  153°24'12"E
Gold Coast